- Hydrosystems modeling and porous media
- Stochastic simulation and Bayesian methods
- J. Koch and W. Nowak. “Identification of contaminant source architectures - a statistical inversion that emulates multi-phase physics in a computationally practicable manner”. In: Water Resources Research 52.2 (2016), pp. 1009–1025.
- A. Schöniger, W. Illman, T. Wöhling, and W. Nowak. “Finding the Right Balance Between Groundwater Model Complexity and Experimental Effort via Bayesian Model Selection”. In: Journal of Hydrology 531.1 (2015), pp. 96–110.
- A. Schöniger, T. Wöhling, L. Samaniego, and W. Nowak. “Model selection on solid ground: Rigorous comparison of nine ways to evaluate Bayesian model evidence”. In: Water Resources Research 50.12 (2014), pp. 9484–9513.
- S. Oladyshkin, H. Class, and W. Nowak. “Bayesian updating via bootstrap filtering combined with data-driven polynomial chaos expansions: methodology and application to history matching for carbon dioxide storage in geological formations”. In: Computational Geosciences 17.4 (2013), pp. 671–687.
- A. Schöniger, W. Nowak, and H.-J. Hendricks Franssen. “Parameter estimation by ensemble Kalman filters with transformed data: Approach and application to hydraulic tomography”. In: Water Resources Research 48.4 (2012).
- S. Oladyshkin, H. Class, R. Helmig, and W. Nowak. “A concept for data-driven uncertainty quantification and its application to carbon dioxide storage in geological formations”. In: Advances in Water Resources 34.11 (2011), pp. 1508–1518.
- W. Nowak, F. P. J. de Barros, and Y. Rubin. “Bayesian Geostatistical Design: Task-driven optimal site investigation when the geostatistical model is uncertain”. In: Water Resources Research 46.3 (2010).
- W. Nowak. “Best Unbiased Ensemble Linearization and the quasi-linear Kalman ensemble generator”. In: Water Resources Research 45.4 (2009).
- W. Nowak, R. L. Schwede, O. A. Cirpka, and I. Neuweiler. “Probability density functions of hydraulic head and velocity in three-dimensional heterogeneous porous media”. In: Water Resources Research 44.8 (2008).
- W. Nowak and O. A. Cirpka. “Geostatistical inference of hydraulic conductivity and dispersivities from hydraulic heads and tracer data”. In: Water Resources Research 42.8 (2006).
Professional and Academic Career
- since 2016 Director of the Institute for Modelling Hydraulic and Environmental Systems
- since 2014 SimTech Chair for Stochastic Simulation and Safety Research for Hydrosystems, Institute for Modelling Hydraulic and Environmental Systems, University of Stuttgart
- 2008–2014 SimTech Junior Professor for Stochastic Modelling of Hydrosystems, University of Stuttgart
- 2007–2008 Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of California at Berkeley, USA
- 2005–2007 Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institute for Hydraulic Engineering, University of Stuttgart
- 2001 Visiting Scholar at Stanford University, USA
- 1999–2000 Research Assistant at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Academic Studies and Degrees
- 2000–2004 Dr.-Ing., Environmental Engineering, University of Stuttgart
- 1998–2000 Water Resources Engineering and Management (M.Sc.), University of Stuttgart (Master’s thesis written at University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada)
- 1994–2000 Environmental Engineering (Dipl.-Ing.), University of Stuttgart
- 2015 American Geophysical Union Award for Excellence in Refereeing
- 2013 University of Stuttgart Environmental Engineering student award for best Master-level lecture: “Environmental Fluid Mechanics II”
- 2013 InterPore Rosette for exceptional commitment to the society
- 2007 DFG stipend (staying at the University of California at Berkeley)
- since 2018: PI of DFG SFB 1313 “Interface-Driven Multi-field Processes in Porous Media - Flow, Transport and Deformation”
- since 2016: PI and Member of the Executive Committee DFG SFB 1253 “Catchments as Reactors: Metabolism of Pollutants on the Landscape Scale – CAMPOS”
- since 2014: Associate Editor “Journal of Hydrology”
- since 2012: PI of the DFG IRTG 1892 “Integrated Hydrosystem Modelling” (HYDROMOD, Tübingen)
- 2010–2016: Head of Publicity Committee for International Society for Porous Media Research
- 2010–2015: PI of the DFG IRTG 1398 “Non-Linearities and upscaling in porous media” (NUPUS)
- 2010–2014: Scientific Board Member at the research institute “Water Earth System Science” (Universities of Tübingen, Hohenheim and Stuttgart, UFZ Leipzig-Halle)
- since 2009: Patron for the Student Exchange Programme between the Universities of Stuttgart and Waterloo, Canada