- Droplet dynamics
- Heat transfer
- Flow experiments
- W. Chang, X. Chu, A. F. B. S. Fareed, S. Pandey, J. Luo, B. Weigand, and E. Laurien. “Heat transfer prediction of supercritical water with artificial neural networks”. In: Applied Thermal Engineering 131 (2018), pp. 815–824.
- H. Aslannejad, A. Terzis, S. Hassanizadeh, and B. Weigand. “Occurrence of temperature spikes at a wetting front during spontaneous imbibition”. In: Scientific Reports 7.7268 (2017).
- P. Rauschenberger and B. Weigand. “Direct numerical simulation of rigid bodies in multiphase flow within an Eulerian framework”. In: Journal of Computational Physics 291 (2015), pp. 238–253.
- B. Weigand. Analytical Methods for Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Problems. 2nd ed. Springer, 2015.
- C. Zhu, M. Ertl, and B. Weigand. “Numerical investigation on the primary breakup of an inelastic non-Newtonian liquid jet with inflow turbulence”. In: Physics of Fluids 25.8 (2013), p. 083102.
- B. Weigand and S. Spring. “Multiple Jet Impingement – A Review”. In: Heat Transfer Research 42 (2011), pp. 101–142.
- W. Sander and B. Weigand. “Shaker-based heat and mass transfer in liquid metal cooled engine valves”. In: International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 52.11-12 (2009), pp. 2552–2564.
- J. Schlottke and B. Weigand. “Direct numerical simulation of evaporating droplets”. In: Journal of Computational Physics 227.10 (2008), pp. 5215–5237.
- W. M. Kays, M. E. Crawford, and B. Weigand. Convective Heat and Mass Transfer. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill, 2004.
- B. Weigand. “An extract analytical solution for the extended turbulent Graetz problem with Dirichlet wall boundary conditions for pipe and channel flows”. In: International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 39.8 (1996), pp. 1625–1637.
- since 2010 Elected member of the Senate of the University of Stuttgart
- since 2012 Member of the Research Council, University Stuttgart
- 2006–2009 Vice-Rector for Organisation of the University of Stuttgart
- 2002–2006 Dean of the Faculty for Aerospace Engineering and Geodesy, University of Stuttgart
- since 1999 Full Professor (C4) and Director of the Institute of Aerospace Thermodynamics
- 1997–1999 Key Discipline Owner Aero and Cooling, ABB Power Generation, Switzerland
- 1992–1999 Development Engineer, later group leader and deputy department head for basic development in heat transfer and cooling as well as responsible for the heat transfer and cooling design for all new gas turbine blades, later also responsible for secondary air systems, ABB Power Gen., Baden, Switzerland
- 1987–1992 Scientific Assistant at the Institute for Thermodynamics, TU Darmstadt
Academic Studies and Degrees
- 1997–1999 Privatdozent, TU Darmstadt (in parallel to the work at ABB Power Generation) 1997 Habilitation at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, TU Darmstadt (in parallel to the industrial work)
- 1992 Dr.-Ing., Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, TU Darmstadt
- 1987 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, TU Darmstadt
- 1981–1987 Study of Mechanical Engineering, TU Darmstadt
- 2016, 2017 Visiting Professor at the University of Bergamo, Italy
- 2015 Appointment as “Advisory Professor of Shanghai Jiao Tong University” for 5 years
- since 2014 Elected Member of acatech (National Academy of Science and Engineering)
- ’02, ’05, ’06 Visiting Professor at the LTT of EPFL, Switzerland
- 2010, 2012 Visiting Professor at the LTT of EPFL, Switzerland
- since 2009 EUCASS Fellow
- 2006 Tanasawa Award for the best paper relating to liquid atomization and spray systems at the ICLASS conference 2003
- Member of the Executive Committee of the DFG SFB 1313: “Interface-Driven Multi-Field Processes in Porous Media” (since 2018)
- Spokesperson of DFG IRTG 2160/1: “Droplet Interaction Technologies” (since 2016)
- Spokesperson of DFG SFB-TRR 75: “Droplet Dynamics under Extreme Ambient Conditions” (since 2010)
- Spokesperson of DFG GRK 1095: “Aero-thermodynamic design of a scramjet for future space transportation systems” (2005–2014)
- Member of the Executive Committee of the SFB-TRR 40: “Fundamental Technologies for the Development of Future Space Transport System Components under High Thermal and Mechanical Loads” (since 2008)
- Appointed Member of the Steering Committee of “SUPERMUC” at TU Munich (since 2013)
- Editor of “Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer” (since 2012)
- Editor of “Int. Comm. In Heat Mass Transfer” (since 2012)
- Member of the Advisory Board of “Int. J. of Thermal Sciences‘” (since 2011)
- Member of the Editorial Board of “CEER” (Civil and Env. Enging. Reports) (since 2011)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the book series “Mathematical Engineering” (since 2011)