- Mathematical systems theory
- Uncertain systems
- Control theory
- Optimization in control
- M. Fetzer, C. W. Scherer, and J. Veenman. “Invariance with Dynamic Multipliers”. In: IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (2017). In press, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TAC. 2017.2762764.
- M. Fetzer and C. W. Scherer. “A general integral quadratic constraints theorem with applications to a class of sampled-data systems”. In: SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization 54.3 (2016), pp. 1105–1125.
- C. W. Scherer. “Lossless H1-synthesis for 2D systems (special issue JCW)”. In: Systems & Control Letters 95 (2016), pp. 35–45.
- C. W. Scherer. “Gain-scheduling control with dynamic multipliers by convex optimization”. In: SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization 53.3 (2015), pp. 1224–1249.
- J. Veenman and C. W. Scherer. “A synthesis framework for robust gain-scheduling controllers”. In: Automatica 50.11 (2014), pp. 2799–2812.
- C. W. Scherer. “Structured H1-optimal control for nested interconnections: a state-space solution”. In: Systems & Control Letters 62.12 (2013), pp. 1105–1113.
- I. Polat and C. W. Scherer. “Stability analysis for bilateral teleoperation: an IQC formulation”. In: IEEE Transactions on Robotics 28.6 (2012), pp. 1294–1308.
- C. W. Scherer and C. Hol. “Matrix sum-of-squares relaxations for robust semi-definite programs”. In: Mathematical Programming, Series B 107 (2006), pp. 189–211.
- C. W. Scherer. “LPV control and full block multipliers”. In: Automatica 37.3 (2001), pp. 361–375.
- C. Scherer, P. Gahinet, and M. Chilali. “Multi-objective output-feedback control via LMI optimization”. In: IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 42.7 (1997), pp. 896–911.
Professional and Academic Career
- 2017 Visiting Professor, Department of Control Science & Engineering, Jilin University, China
- 2014–2016 Vice-Dean of the Faculty for Mathematics and Physics, University of Stuttgart
- 2013 Visiting Professor, Department of Signals and Systems, Chalmers University, Sweden
- since 2010 SimTech Chair for Mathematical Systems Theory, University of Stuttgart
- 2003 Visiting Professor, Department of Systems Science, Kyoto University, Japan
- 2001–2010 Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Professor (full, tenured), Systems and Control Theory, Delft, University of Technology, NL
- 1999 Visiting Professor, Automatic Control Laboratory, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
- 1997–2001 Associate Professor, Systems and Control, Delft University of Technology, NL
- 1993–1997 Assistant Professor, Systems and Control, Delft University of Technology, NL
- 1992-1993 Postdoc, University of Michigan, MI, USA and Washington University, MO, USA
Academic Studies and Degrees
- 1991 Dr.rer.nat., Mathematical Institute, University of Würzburg, Predicate: Summa cum laude
Supervisors: Prof. Dr. H.W. Knobloch (University of Wurzburg)
Prof. dr. J.C. Willems (University of Groningen, The Netherlands)
Title of thesis: The Riccati Inequality and State-Space H1-Optimal Control
- 1989 Visiting Scientist, Department of Mathematics, University of Groningen, NL
- 1988–1991 Research Assistant, Mathematical Institute, University of Würzburg
- 1982–1987 Diploma studies of Mathematics and Physics (minor), University of Würzburg, Main subject: Mathematical control theory
- 2016 Plenary Speaker, Operator Theory and Applications, St. Louis, MO, USA
- since 2013 IEEE fellow
- 2011 Plenary Speaker, 18th IFAC World Congress, Milano, Italy
- since 2009 IEEE Control Systems Society Distinguished Lecturer
- 2003–2009 Prestigious grant within the Dutch government program “Innovational Research Incentives Scheme VIDI”
- since 1999 Various international teaching activities by invitation
- since 1995 Multitude of plenary and semi-plenary lectures at international conferences
- since 1990 Several invitations to Oberwolfach conferences (Control or Optimization)
- Member of Scientific Advisory Board, CIDMA, Aveiro, Portugal (2010-2018)
- Associate Editor and Editor at Large (since 2013) “European Journal of Control” (since 2006)
- Chair of IFAC technical committee “Robust Control” (2002–2008)
- Associate Editor “Automatica” (2000–2006)
- Associate Editor “Systems & Control Letters” (1998–2008)
- Associate Editor “IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control” (1997–1999 and 2018–)
- International Program Committees (since 2012):
- 20th IFAC World Congress, Toulouse, France (2017)
- 22nd Int. Symposium on Math. Theory of Networks and Systems, Minneapolis, MN, USA (2016)
- 1st IFAC Workshop on Linear Parameter Varying Systems, Grenoble, France (2015)
- 7th IFAC Symposium on Robust Control Design, Bratislava, Slovakia (2015)
- Invited Session Chair, European Control Conference, Linz, Austria (2015)
- 21st Int. Symposium on Math. Theory of Networks and Systems, Groningen, NL (2014)
- 52nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Florence, Italy (2013)
- European Control Conference, Zurich, Switzerland (2013)
- 6th IFAC Symposium on Robust Control Design, Aalborg, Denmark (2012)