- Excellence Initiative IAS Focus Group HPC - Tackling the Multichallenge
- MAC@KAUST: Smulation of CO2 Sequestration
- A High-End Toolbox for Simulation and Optimisation of Multi-Physics PDE Models
- KONWIHR: Computational Steering of Complex Flow Simulations
- Distributed stochastic simulation for the hydroelastic analysis of very large floating structures
- Development of New Methods for the Production of Highly Reactive Polyisobutenes
- Modelling and Development of Micropumps
- Numerical Simulation of Fluid-Structure-Interactions on Cartesian Grids
- Efficient Parallel Simulation of Fluid Flow on Cartesian Grids
- Design of efficient computation methods for problems of fluid dynamics (FORTWIHR)
- SFB438 - Z2: Mathematical Modelling, Simulation and Verification of material-oriented processes and intelligent systems
- SFB411 - C4: Principles of aerobic biological wastewater treatment
- Development of courses for the vhb
- A. Gholami, A. Mang, K. Scheufele, C. Davatzikos, M. Mehl, and G. Biros. “A Framework for Scalable Biophysics-based Image Analysis”. In: Proceedings of the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC 2017). 2017, pp. 1–13.
- K. Scheufele and M. Mehl. “Robust multi-secant quasi-Newton variants for parallel fluidstructure simulations – and other multiphysics applications”. In: SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 39.5 (2017), pp. 404–433.
- R. Haelterman, A. Bogaers, K. Scheufele, B. Uekermann, and M. Mehl. “Improving the performance of the partitioned QN-ILS procedure for fluid–structure interaction problems: Filtering”. In: Computers & Structures 171 (2016), pp. 9–17.
- P. Neumann, H.-J. Bungartz, M. Mehl, T. Neckel, and T. Weinzierl. “Coupled approaches for fluid dynamic problems using the PDE framework Peano”. In: Communications in Computational Physics 12.1 (2012), pp. 65–84.
- H.-J. Bungartz, B. Gatzhammer, M. Lieb, M. Mehl, and T. Neckel. “Towards multi-phase flow simulations in the PDE framework Peano”. In: Computational Mechanics 48.3 (2011), pp. 365–376.
- T. Weinzierl and M. Mehl. “Peano - a traversal and storage scheme for octree-like adaptive cartesian multiscale grids”. In: SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 33.5 (2011), pp. 2732–2760.
- M. Mehl, T. Neckel, and P. Neumann. “Navier-Stokes and Lattice-Boltzmann on octree-like grids in the Peano framework”. In: International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 65.1–3 (2010), pp. 67–86.
- M. Brenk, H.-J. Bungartz, M. Mehl, I. L. Muntean, T. Neckel, and T. Weinzierl. “Numerical simulation of particle transport in a drift ratchet”. In: SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 30.6 (2008), pp. 2777–2798.
- F. Günther, M. Mehl, M. Pögl, and C. Zenger. “A cache-aware algorithm for PDEs on hierarchical data structures based on space-filling curves”. In: SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 28.5 (2006), pp. 1634–1650.
- H. Bungartz, M. Kuehn, M. Mehl, M. Hausner, and S. Wuertz. “Fluid flow and transport in defined biofilms: experiments and numerical simulations on a microscale”. In: Water Science and Technology 41.4–5 (2000), pp. 331–338.
- since 2017 Vice-Dean of the Faculty for Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, University of Stuttgart
- 2015–2017 Director of the Institute for Parallel and Distributed Systems, University of Stuttgart
- since 2013 Professor for Simulation of Large Systems, University of Stuttgart
- 2012–2013 Professor (stand-in) of Numerical Mathematics, Technical University of Munich
- 1997–2012 Researcher at the Chair for Scientific Computing in Computer Science, Technical University of Munich
Academic Studies and Degrees
- 2010 Habilitation in Computer Science, Technical University of Munich
- 2001 Dr.rer.nat., Faculty of Computer Science, Technical University of Munich
- 1997 Diploma in Mathematics, Technical University of Munich
- 1993–1997 Study of Mathematics, Technical University of Munich
- 2013 Offer for a professorship at the Technical University of Kaiserslautern
- 2010–2013 Carl-von-Linde Junior Fellowship at the Institute for Advanced Studies, Technical University of Munich
- 1993–1997 Bayerische Begabtenförderung (scholarship for highly gifted students of the Bavarian state government)
- since 2017: Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Steering Committee of the Gauss Centre for
- since 2016: Member of the Advisory Board of the Leibniz Supercomputing Center (LRZ), Garching for the
acquisition of the next generation Tier-1 machine
- Program Committees: Supercomputing 2018 (SC18), International Supercomputing Conference 2018 (ISC 2018), SIAM PP 2018, ISC 2017 PhD Forum, ECCOMAS Coupled Problems 2017, PARNUM 2017, Supercomputing 2016 (SC16), WCCM 2016
- since 2015: Member of the User Committee of the High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
- 2017: Member of the Executive Board of the Informatik Forum Stuttgart e.V.
- since 2015: PI of the DFG GSC 262 “Advanced Manufacturing Engineering”
- PI and project leader of the project ExaFSA in the DFG SPP 1648 “SPPExa-Software for Exascale Computing”
- 2012–2018: PI of the DFG SFB 716 “Dynamic Simulation of Systems with Large Particle Numbers”
- 2017-2021: PI of the DFG GRK 2198 “Soft Tissue Robotics”
- Conference Program Chair/Member of the Scientific Committees:ECCOMAS Coupled Problems 2019, 4th International Conference on Computational Engineering (2017), 3rd International Workshop on Computational Engineering (2014), 1st International Workshop on Computational Engineering (2009)