- Hydrosystem modelling
- stochastic simulation
- Bayesian methods
- Guthke. Defensible model complexity: A call for data-based and goal-oriented model choice. Groundwater 55:5 (2017), pp. 646–650.
- Nowak, A. Guthke. Entropy-based experimental design for optimal model discrimination in the geosciences. Entropy 18:11 (2016), p. 409.
- Lötgering-Lin, A. Schöniger, W. Nowak, J. Gross. Bayesian model selection helps to choose objectively between thermodynamic models: A demonstration of selecting a viscosity-model based on entropy scaling. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 55:38 (2016), pp. 10191–10207.
- Schöniger, W. Illman, T. Wöhling, W. Nowak. Finding the right balance between groundwater model complexity and experimental effort via Bayesian model selection. Journal of Hydrology 531:1 (2015), pp. 96–110.
- Schöniger, T. Wöhling, W. Nowak. A statistical concept to assess the uncertainty in Bayesian model weights and its impact on model ranking. Water Resources Research 51:9 (2015), pp. 7524–7546.
- Wöhling, A. Schöniger, S. Gayler, W. Nowak. Bayesian model averaging to explore the worth of data for soil-plant model selection and prediction. Water Resources Research 51:4 (2015), pp. 2825–2846.
- Schöniger, T. Wöhling, L. Samaniego, W. Nowak. Model selection on solid ground: Rigorous comparison of nine ways to evaluate Bayesian model evidence. Water Resources Research 50:12 (2014), pp. 9484 – 9513.
- Schöniger, W. Nowak, H.-J. Hendricks Franssen. Parameter estimation by ensemble Kalman filters with transformed data: Approach and application to hydraulic tomography. Water Resources Research 48:W04502 (2012), doi:10.1029/2011WR010462.
Academic Studies and Degrees
2016 PhD (Dr. rer. nat.), Center for Applied Geoscience, University of Tübingen
2012-2015 Doctoral studies in Geosciences, Center for Applied Geoscience, University of Tübingen
2010 Diploma (Dipl.-Ing.) in Environmental Engineering, University of Stuttgart
2004-2010 Studies of Environmental Engineering, University of Stuttgart
Professional and Academic Career
Since 2017 Postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Stochastic Simulation and Safety Research for Hydrosystems, University of Stuttgart
2016 Postdoctoral fellow at the Center for Applied Geoscience, University of Tübingen
2012-2015 PhD researcher at the Center for Applied Geoscience, University of Tübingen
Since 2010 Consultant at BoSS Consult GmbH, Stuttgart
2010 Research Assistant at the Department of Stochastic Simulation and Safety Research for Hydrosystems, University of Stuttgart
2008 Research Assistant at the Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2016 Dissertation with distinction
2011 Stiftung AQUA study prize
2009-2010 IRTG NUPUS student thesis scholarship
2017 Invited author: Technical commentary in a collection of papers in “Groundwater” on the invitation of Dr. Ty Ferré, the 2016 Darcy Lecturer
2016 Invited speaker: “Model selection workshop” at KU Leuven, Belgium
Since 2012 Scientific reviewer for various international journals including Water Resources Research, Advances in Water Resources, Journal of Hydrology, Journal of Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, Frontiers of Earth Science