- Volume visualization
- Flow visualization
- Particle visualization
- Life science applications
- Visual Analytics
- GPU based techniques
- Web based graphics
- Graphics for mobile devices
- Graphics clusters
- Non-photorealistic rendering
Human Computer Interfaces
- User interfaces for the disabled
- Navigation systems for the blind
- Semantic web and visual queries
- Web-based learning platforms
- Augmented and virtual reality
- S. Grottel, M. Krone, C. Müller, G. Reina, and T. Ertl. “MegaMol - a prototyping framework for particle-based visualization”. In: IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 21.2 (2015), pp. 201–214.
- S. Koch, H. Bosch, M. Giereth, and T. Ertl. “Iterative Integration of Visual Insights during Scalable Patent Search and Analysis”. In: IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 17.5 (2011), pp. 557–569.
- P. Heim, T. Ertl, and J. Ziegler. “Facet graphs: complex semantic querying made easy”. In: The Semantic Web: Research and Applications (Proceedings of ESWC 2010). 2010, pp. 288–302.
- M. Üffinger, S. Frey, and T. Ertl. “Interactive high-quality visualization of higher-order finite elements”. In: Computer Graphics Forum 29.2 (2010), pp. 337–346.
- C. Müller, S. Frey, M. Strengert, C. Dachsbacher, and T. Ertl. “A compute unified system architecture for graphics clusters incorporating data locality”. In: IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 15.4 (2009), pp. 605–617.
- S. Stegmaier, M. Strengert, T. Klein, and T. Ertl. “A simple and flexible volume rendering framework for graphics-hardware-based raycasting”. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Volume Graphics. 2005, pp. 187–195.
- A. Hub, J. Diepstraten, and T. Ertl. “Design and development of an indoor navigation and object identification system for the blind”. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Accessibility and Computing (ACM SIGACCESS 2004). 2004, pp. 147–152.
- S. Röttger, S. Guthe, D. Weiskopf, and T. Ertl. “Smart hardware-accelerated volume rendering”. In: Proceedings of the EG/IEEE Symposium on Data Visualization (VISSYM 2003). 2003, pp. 231–238.
- K. Engel, M. Kraus, and T. Ertl. “High-quality pre-integrated volume rendering using hardwareaccelerated pixel shading”. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH/EUROGRAPHICS Workshop on Graphics Hardware (HWWS 2001). 2001, pp. 9–16.
- R. Westermann and T. Ertl. “Efficiently using graphics hardware in volume rendering applications”. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH 1998) (1998), pp. 169–179.
Thomas Ertl received a MSc in computer science from the University of Colorado at Boulder and a PhD in theoretical astrophysics from the University of Tuebingen. Since 1999 he is a full professor of computer science at the University of Stuttgart in the Visualization and Interactive Systems Institute (VIS) and director of the Visualization Research Center of the University of Stuttgart (VISUS). Prior to that he was a professor of computer graphics and visualization at the University of Erlangen and a cofounder and member of the board of science+computing ag, a Tuebingen based IT company. His research interests include visualization, computer graphics and human computer interaction in general with a focus on volume rendering, flow and particle visualization, parallel and hardware accelerated graphics, large datasets and interactive steering, visual analytics of text collections and social media. Dr. Ertl is coauthor of more than 500 scientific publications and he served as a reviewer for most of the conferences and journals in the field. He has been a member of numerous program committees (e.g. Eurographics, ACM SIGGRAPH, IEEE VIS) and a papers co-chair for several conferences (e.g. Eurographics, IEEE Visualization, EuroVIS, PacificVis). From 2007-2010 Dr. Ertl was Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Graphics (TVCG) and in 2011/2012 he served as Chairman of the Eurographics Association. He received the Distinguished Career Award (2016) and the Outstanding Technical Contribution Award (2006) of the Eurographics Association and the Technical Achievement Award of the IEEE Visualization and Graphics Technical Committee (2006). In 2007 he was elected as a Member of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities. He received Honorary Doctorates from the Vienna University of Technology in 2011 and from the University of Magdeburg in 2014. Since 2015 he serves as Vice President of Research and Advanced Graduate Education of the University of Stuttgart.
- since 2015 Vice-Rector for Research and Advanced Graduate Education
- 2013–2015 Dean of the Faculty for Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
- since 2006 Director of the Visualization Research Center of the University Stuttgart (VISUS)
- 2002–2016 Director of the Institute for Visualization and Interactive Systems (VIS)
- 2000–2006 Head of Research and Innovation of science+computing AG (part-time)
- since 1999 Professor for Practical Computer Science at the University of Stuttgart
- 1994–1999 Professor for Computer Graphics and Visualization, Univ. of Erlangen-Nürnberg
- 1992–1993 General Manager science+computing GmbH, Tübingen (part-time until 2000)
- 1983–1991 Researcher at the Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics, University of Tübingen
Academic Studies and Degrees
- 2014 Honorary Doctorate, University of Magdeburg
- 2011 Honorary Doctorate, University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
- 1988 Dr.rer.nat., Faculty of Physics, University of Tübingen
- 1982 Master of Science in Computer Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
- 1980–1982 Study of Computer Science at the University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
- 1976–1980 Study of Physics and Computer Science, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg
- 2016 Distinguished Career Award 2016 of the Eurographics Association
- 2010 Outstanding Service Award 2010 of the IEEE TC Visualization and Graphics
- 2007 Regular Member of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences
- 2006 Technical Achievement Award of the IEEE TC Visualization and Graphics
- 2006 Outstanding Technical Contribution Award of the Eurographics Association
- Member of the Computer Science Review Board of the DFG FK-409 (since 2012)
- Member of the ERC Advanced Grant Panel Computer Science 2011, 2013, 2015
- Scientific Advisory Board VRVis, Vienna (since 2001)
- Scientific Advisory Board Science Campus Tübingen (2011–2016)
- Chairman Scientific Advisory Board Welsh Research Institute of Visual Comput. (2009–2014)
- Chairman of the Eurographics Association (2011–2012)
- Executive Committee of the Eurographics Association (since 2004)
- Editor-in-Chief of “IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics” (2007–2010)
- Editorial Board “IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics” (2003–2006)
- Steering Committee “IEEE Visualization Conference” (2004–2011)
- Steering Committee Eurographics Working Group on Data Visualization (2003–2012)
- PI and Member of the Directorate EXC 310 “Simulation Technology” (since 2007)
- PI of the GSC 262 “Advanced Manufacturing Engineering” (since 2007)
- Vice-Spokesperson DFG SFB 716 “Particle Simulation” (since 2006)
- Steering Committee of the DFG SFB-TRR 161 “Quantitative Visual Computing” (since 2015)
- Steering Committee of the DFG SPP 1335 “Scalable Visual Analysis Techniques” (2008–2015)
- Paper Co-Chair: Supercomputing 2018 SciVis Showcase, Eurographics 2012, IEEE PacificVis2009, IEEE VAST 2008, EuroVIS 2006, IEEE VolVis 2004, IEEE Visualization 2000/2001
- Conference Chair: PacificGraphics 2016, IEEE PacificVis 2011, Volume Graphics 2005/2006, Graphics Hardware 2002, Dagstuhl SciVis Seminar 2003/2005, VMV 2001